St Mary's Church
Like many old churches St Mary, Kettlebaston is an amalgam of styles and dates. Basically it is a 14th Century flint and stone building but it is believed the core of the nave dates frin C1100. In the early 13th century the font was made and in 1363, accoridng to an old document, the church was 'built anew' when the chancel was rebuilt and the tower added.
Together with many churches it suffered much depredation in the Reformation when a lot of the colour and carving was removed. Even more destruction occurred during the Puritan era when it is probable the stained glass was smashed. During the 18th century the interior would have been very differnet from what it is today - over the years items were put in and items were taken out - at one time there were box pews.
There is a referecne to an early 17th century rector who was removed from the benefice because he was a 'common alehouse haunter and much given to tippling... and useth to provoke others to odo the same...'
Today the interior owes much to the Reverend Butler (1926-64) who did a great deal to maintain and adorn the church. Kettlebaston church is now part of a benefice consisting of five nearby villages, served by the Rev'd Carol Mansell who resides in Monks Eleigh.
For more information on St Mary, Kettlebaston please visit the Suffolk Churches
For information of services and events please visit the Church of England website St Mary, Kettlebaston